Oil Springs High School was located along state route 40 in Eastern Johnson County about 10 miles east of the county seat Paintsville near the Maggoffin County line.
Oil Springs High School closed at the end of the 1967-68 school year when Oil Springs, Van Lear, Meade and Flat Gap High Schools were consolidated to form Johnson Central High School. The building then housed Oil Springs Elementary for a number of years until Highland Elementary was built in nearby Staffordsville.
Today the building is home to The Oil Springs Cultural Arts and Recreation Center is part of the Route 23 Cultural Heritage Network. It is located in Johnson County Kentucky on Route 40 West. The building, once home to the Oil Springs School, now serves as a regional center for the arts.
The Oil Springs High School Gym has a history and story all of its own. The gymnasium was constructed in 1934-35 and was funded by the Works Progress Administration, a national assistance program in place from 1930 to 1941. The gymnasium was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 26, 1989.