High On The Hill
Fleming-Neon High School is located high upon the hill above the town of Flemming-Neon. Fleming-Neon has a particularly interesting history as until 1977 Fleming and Neon were two separate Municipalities. In all technicalness of the geography of this town, the school actually is located in what was Neon prior to the city consolidation.
The Fleming-Neon High School was originally built by the Elkhorn Coal Corporation in 1925 to provide an educational system for the children of the coal miners. The school’s mascot was a pirate and the school colors were purple and gold. A picture of this structure can be found by clicking HERE
Fire & Reconstruction
On the night of February 11, 1958 the original Fleming-Neon High School was destroyed by a fire. High School classes were then held in the neighboring elementary school while the present high school structure was completed in the same spot, high up on the hill. Enrollment at the time of the fire was 380 students. Finally on May 21, 1960 the new 14 room high school was dedicated.
Consolidation and The End
In 2003 The Letcher County Board of Education moved forward with a plan and began construction on a new centralized consolidated high school that would result in the closure and the end of the three county high schools, Letcher, Whitesburg and Fleming-Neon. At the end of the 2004-2005 school year Fleming-Neon High School closed. It’s final enrollment count was 218 students in grades 9-12.