The Alton Lennon Federal Building is located near the center of Wilmington (New Hanover County) North Carolina. It was designed by the Office of the Supervising Architect under James A. Wetmore and built between 1916 and 1919. It is an imposing three-story,Classical Revival style light sandstone building. It consists of a central mass with balanced projecting wings having engaged pedimented porticos. The design of the front facade of the earlier 1840s customs house is incorporated into the projecting wings to the cast iron details. The building measures 332 feet by 113 feet. The building was named for U.S. Congressman and Senator Alton Lennon in 1976. This building was used as the outside of the courthouse on seasons 7-9 of the tv series Matlock.
The building was placed on the Nation Register of Historic Places in 1974