The Bonnie Kate Theater located on Sycamore Street in Elizabethton, Tennessee first opened its doors on May 16, 1926. All 500 seats were filled for the inaugural silent movie showing at the theater.
In the 1970s a sheetrock wall was installed to split the single screen theater into two auditoriums and allow for the showing of two separate films.
On November 16, 2012 “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2” premiered. This was the final film shown at the Bonnie Kate.
In May of 2016 the City of Elizabethton bought the historic theater. The city has began renovation on the building and hopes to utilize the building as a performing arts venue.