This Logan County Courthouse was constructed in 1903 and remodeled in 1972. This courthouse replaced earlier courthouses dating back to 1792 that were located at the site of the current day public square in town.
Ballard County was formed from portions of Hickman County and McCracken County. Ballard County has the distinction of being the county in Kentucky that borders both Illinois and Missouri.It was named for Bland Ballard , a Kentucky pioneer and soldier who served as a scout for General George Rogers Clark during the American Revolutionary War, and later commanded a company during the War of 1812. On February 17, 1880, the courthouse was destroyed by a fire, which also destroyed most of the county’s early records. At this time the countyseat and courthouse was located in Blandville.
The county seat was transferred from Blandville to Wickliffe in 1882. This courthouse was built in 1903 with the designs of Missouri architect Jerome B. Legg. It is located in the heart of Wickliffe making it the county’s most prominent structure. On February 27, 1980 the courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
This building was used as the outside of the courthouse on seasons 7-9 of the tv series Matlock.
The Alton Lennon Federal Building is located near the center of Wilmington (New Hanover County) North Carolina. It was designed by the Office of the Supervising Architect under James A. Wetmore and built between 1916 and 1919. It is an imposing three-story,Classical Revival style light sandstone building. It consists of a central mass with balanced projecting wings having engaged pedimented porticos. The design of the front facade of the earlier 1840s customs house is incorporated into the projecting wings to the cast iron details. The building measures 332 feet by 113 feet. The building was named for U.S. Congressman and Senator Alton Lennon in 1976. This building was used as the outside of the courthouse on seasons 7-9 of the tv series Matlock.
The building was placed on the Nation Register of Historic Places in 1974
The Burke County Courthouse is located at 102 East Union Street Morganton, North Carolina.
In 1830, the Burke County Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions decided that the County needed a new courthouse to replace the “shabby, weather-beaten” plank courthouse that had been built on the public square in 1791. The General Assembly of 1830-31 authorized it to spend $8,000 and named five commissioners to oversee the construction. In the 1832-33 sessions, the General Assembly increased the amount to $12,000.
James Binnie, a Scottish builder, was awarded the contract in 1833. He built the courthouse of native stone quarried on the Forney plantation about four miles north of Morganton. Frederick Roderick, a German stonemason who later established his home in Burke County, assisted Mr. Binnie with the construction. The building was put into use in 1837.
From 1847 until 1862, the North Carolina Supreme Court held its August session in the courthouse for the convenience of lawyers from the western part of the state who were arguing appeals from the Superior Courts of their respective counties.
During the Civil War, on April 17, 1865, Major General George Stoneman occupied the building and destroyed most of the County’s records.
In 1885, the exterior of the building was covered with stucco, and in 1903, a major renovation designed by architect Frank Milburn of Columbia, SC raised the porticos and replaced the simple classical cupola with an elaborate one of Baroque style, giving the courthouse its present appearance.
A monument to Burke County’s Confederate Army troops was erected on the northwest corner of the Square in 1911 and was paid for by public subscription. The bronze statue of the soldier was added in 1918. The statue was a gift from Captain William Joseph Kincaid, a Burke County Confederate soldier, who settled in Griffin, Georgia after the war.
Also found on the Square is a memorial rose garden given in memory of Bob Byrd (1930-2001), a prominent Burke County attorney and a statue of Sam J. Ervin, Jr., a Burke County native, who served in the US Senate from 1954 to 1974.
The courthouse was in continuous use until 1976 when the present Burke County Courthouse was completed. The effort to preserve the Old Courthouse began in 1978. The restoration, completed in 1984, was accomplished with the joint efforts of Burke County, the City of Morganton, and Historic Burke Foundation.
The North Carolina Supreme Court met in the Old Chowan County Courthouse in Edenton in 2004, and again in 2013. In 2015, Governor McCrory signed Senate Bill 161 into law (S.L. 2015-89), allowing the court to meet in Morganton once again, “…the court shall meet in the Old Burke County Courthouse, the location of summer sessions of the Supreme Court from 1847-1862.” After 154 years the court will once again hold session in the Historic Courthouse in 2016.
The Rockingham County Museum and Archives building is located in the former Rockingham County Courthouse that was originally built in 1907. The building is situated in the town of Wentworth along state route 65 about 7 miles west of Reidsville.
On October 2, 1906 a terrific fire destroyed the old courthouse and a new one, the one pictured below was designed by famed architect Frank Pierce Milburn and constructed at a cost of $25,000.
The new courthouse was composed almost entirely of bricks and had two beautiful rounded pillars
It was at this courthouse in August 1932 that Broadway torch singer Libby Holman posted bond when she was charged (later acquitted) with the alleged murder of her husband, tobacco heir Z. Smith Reynolds of Winston-Salem.
The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places May 10, 1979.
In 2011 a new Courthouse was opened in Rockingham County. This building now serves as the Rockingham County Historical Museum and Archives.
Im traveling back to the Old Dominion State for this entry and covering the Pulaski County Courthouse that was built in 1895 & 1896 and is located on Main Street in Pulaski, Virginia.
The Romanesque building is constructed of rugged cut limestone and was designed by W. Chamberlain & Company. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 8, 1982