This Logan County Courthouse was constructed in 1903 and remodeled in 1972. This courthouse replaced earlier courthouses dating back to 1792 that were located at the site of the current day public square in town.
Ballard County was formed from portions of Hickman County and McCracken County. Ballard County has the distinction of being the county in Kentucky that borders both Illinois and Missouri.It was named for Bland Ballard , a Kentucky pioneer and soldier who served as a scout for General George Rogers Clark during the American Revolutionary War, and later commanded a company during the War of 1812. On February 17, 1880, the courthouse was destroyed by a fire, which also destroyed most of the county’s early records. At this time the countyseat and courthouse was located in Blandville.
The county seat was transferred from Blandville to Wickliffe in 1882. This courthouse was built in 1903 with the designs of Missouri architect Jerome B. Legg. It is located in the heart of Wickliffe making it the county’s most prominent structure. On February 27, 1980 the courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
McCreary County was the last of the 120 counties in the commonwealth to be created on May 12, 1912. The majority of the land in McCreary County was carved out of Whitley and Wayne Counties but also sections were taken from Laurel and Pulaski Counties. The county was named for James B. McCreary a former governor of Kentucky who served one term from 1875-1879 and then again almost 40 years later from 1911-1915. Over half of the land in McCreary County is owned by the federal government.
The McCreary County courthouse is located in the county seat of Whitley City.
Whitley City is one of two county seats in the state that are not incorporated towns or cities. The other is Burlington in Boone County.
The courthouse was completed in 1953 after a fire destroyed the previous courthouse in 1951.
After an aborted attempt at settlement in 1794,the hill overlooking the Horseshoe Bend of the Licking River just downriver from the present city was fortified and settled around 1800 by Archibald Prater, Ebenezer Hanna, and others. Originally known as Prater’s Fort, the community had become Licking Station by the time of its first post office in 1839.
In 1849, the post office was moved to the community at site of the present city and renamed Adamsville after local landowner William “Uncle Billy” Adams. In addition to his farmland, Adams operated a hotel, a gristmill, a tannery and a blacksmith at the new location.
In 1860, Magoffin County was formed from parts of the surrounding Floyd, Johnson, and Morgan counties. Billy Adams donated land for the platting and establishment of a new county seat and the community was renamed “Salyersville” in gratitude to State Representative Samuel Salyer,who sponsored the bill creating the new county. The post office changed the following year.
Salyersville lies on the Licking River at the intersection of US460 and Kentucky State Route 7 and State Route 40 in central Eastern Kentucky between Paintsville and West Liberty.
On March 2, 2012, the same EF3 tornado that hit West Liberty caused widespread damage to the town of Salyersville.
In 2002, the second Magoffin County court house (erected in 1960) was demolished. In its place, a new Justice Center was constructed, which opened in Spring 2006. The new Justice Center’s architecture plays tribute to Magoffin County’s original courthouse