The Bonnie Kate Theater located on Sycamore Street in Elizabethton, Tennessee first opened its doors on May 16, 1926. All 500 seats were filled for the inaugural silent movie showing at the theater.
In the 1970s a sheetrock wall was installed to split the single screen theater into two auditoriums and allow for the showing of two separate films.
On November 16, 2012 “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2” premiered. This was the final film shown at the Bonnie Kate.
In May of 2016 the City of Elizabethton bought the historic theater. The city has began renovation on the building and hopes to utilize the building as a performing arts venue.
The Bell Theater was opened in 1939 by a local dentist, Jay Cornn. It is located at 114 W. Kentucky Avenue. Over the years the theater has had several owners. In 1988 Mike Crockett purchased the Bell Theater with Bobby Taylor. In May of 1991 the theater was reopened to show movies. The theater still shows movies although it is not on a regular basis. It was recently announced by the new management that the theater is in talks to enter into an agreement with Eastern Kentucky University to host events and entertainment programs at the Bell Theater in conjunction with EKU. The theater is currently owned by the city of Pineville and operated by Main Street Pineville, a revitalization group dedicated to preserving and advancing downtown Pineville. For more information about the Bell Theater check out their page on Facebook.