Crispus-Attucks High School is located on First Street near the center of the city of Hopkinsville in Christian County, Kentucky. The school was the first high school serving students of color in all of Christian and even parts of Trigg County when it opened on October 28, 1916.
In 1938, the Hopkinsville Colored Graded School system was absorbed into the white Hopkinsville Independent Schools, and the consolidated, yet segregated school system assumed ownership of Attucks High School. In 1956-1957, the Board of Education of the Hopkinsville Independent School System expanded the site and the campus through the acquisition of adjoining lots. Seven residential lots to the north and to the east of the original structure were purchased to provide land for a large classroom and gymnasium addition.
Completed in 1957, this two-story 39,747-square foot addition was constructed to the east of the original building and exemplifies the Modern architectural traditions of the 1950s with its curtain wall system and metal cladding on the exterior. Attucks High School held its final commencement ceremony on May 29, 1967. Upon closing as a high school and integration with other schools in the Hopkinsville area, the Attucks building was transformed into Attucks Middle School, a school for fifth and sixth graders, which it served as until the end of the 1987-88 school year. The Christian County Board of Education retained ownership of the site until 1998 when fire and water damage and the presence of hazardous materials led them to seek a new owner for the structure. A group of interested alumni of the high school formed the Crispus Attucks Community Association in 1998 and subsequently purchased the property for $1.00. The C.A.C.A. maintains ownership of the property, and the group is dedicated to the restoration of the building as a multifunctional resource that can serve as a cultural centerpiece for the entire community.
On June 1, 2012 paperwork was submitted for the Attucks High School building and grounds to be added to the National Register of Historic Places. The grounds and school were approved to be added to the list and added to the list on January 23, 2013.
Effords are still underway by community members and several groups to full restore this historic building and return it to serving the public.
This is the former Melvin Grade School located in Melvin, Kentucky.
The school is located along state highway 466 in southern Floyd County. The school was originally constructed in 1949 and replaced a one room school at nearby Abner and a three room school at nearby Weeksburry.
The Melvin Grade School served the community for nearly 40 years. A neat picture of 8th grade class from 1985 can be found by clicking HERE
The school closed at the end of the 1997-98 school year. The grounds currently serve as the grounds for a junk yard.
High On The Hill
Fleming-Neon High School is located high upon the hill above the town of Flemming-Neon. Fleming-Neon has a particularly interesting history as until 1977 Fleming and Neon were two separate Municipalities. In all technicalness of the geography of this town, the school actually is located in what was Neon prior to the city consolidation.
The Fleming-Neon High School was originally built by the Elkhorn Coal Corporation in 1925 to provide an educational system for the children of the coal miners. The school’s mascot was a pirate and the school colors were purple and gold. A picture of this structure can be found by clicking HERE
Fire & Reconstruction
On the night of February 11, 1958 the original Fleming-Neon High School was destroyed by a fire. High School classes were then held in the neighboring elementary school while the present high school structure was completed in the same spot, high up on the hill. Enrollment at the time of the fire was 380 students. Finally on May 21, 1960 the new 14 room high school was dedicated.
Consolidation and The End
In 2003 The Letcher County Board of Education moved forward with a plan and began construction on a new centralized consolidated high school that would result in the closure and the end of the three county high schools, Letcher, Whitesburg and Fleming-Neon. At the end of the 2004-2005 school year Fleming-Neon High School closed. It’s final enrollment count was 218 students in grades 9-12.