The State Theatre is located at 321 East Market Street in Logansport, Indiana.
The theatre opened on June 8, 1940 with 1,074 seats. A second screen was later added, and operated as a movie theatre into late 2008.
The State is now a live performance venue
The Earle Theater is located at 142 North Main Street in downtown Mount Airy, North Carolina.
The theater was opened for the first time in 1938 and had a seating capacity of 600, operated by the Stuart and Everett chain of theaters.
By the late 70s multiplex theaters had arrived in northwest North Carolina and by 1980 the competition was just too much and the Earle Theater closed for business.
n 1990, Stewart and Everett Theatres donated the theatre to Surry Arts Council. The theatre was in great disrepair and after countless hours of volunteer work, the theatre got a new lease on life, reopening as the Downtown Cinema Theatre. The Surry Arts Council operates the theatre five nights a week, showing movies at a 3.00 admission. The theatre is also available for other activities. By 2011, it was known again as the Earle Theatre
The Fine Arts Theater is located at 36 Biltmore Avenue in downtown Asheville, North Carolina. It originally opened as the Strand Theatre on October 24, 1946 and had a seating capacity of 800 in orchestra and balcony. It was renamed Fine Arts Theatre on June 8, 1962.
Today the theater is the home of the Asheville Film Festival held in November of each year. The Fine Arts runs first run art and independent films.
The Carmike Cinema 7 was the fourth multiplex theatre to operate in the Durham that was under operation by Carmike Cinemas. The theatre was located next door to the Phar-Mor Drug Store and the Winn-Dixie Marketplace Grocer in the K-Mart Plaza Shopping Center off Foushee Street and Avondale Drive near Interstate 85 and the North Roxboro Street intersections. The theatre could be accessible from either Avondale Drive or Foushee Street. It was supposed to open in 1989 or 1990, but it was held back due to construction delays. But it didn’t officially opened until August 9, 1991.
The Carmike Cinema 7’s grand opening on August 9, 1991 was a huge commercial and critical success. The inside interior of the Carmike 7 featured huge marble lobby floors, an ultra-modern concession stand which can be accessed from either side of the lobby area. Its two larger auditoriums were very impressive with full state of the art sound with full THX Dolby System installed. Extra spaoe seating for more legroom with high pillow back seats equipped with cup holder and arm rests. The theatre had acres of available free parking with continous matinees daily. Carmike operated all of the movie theatres in the Durham-Chapel Hill area so the opening of the Carmike 7 was one of the two theatres that operated in the Northern section of the city(the other was the Willowdaile Cinema 8, located off Guess Road). The grand opening festivities were huge. Admission was only $1.05 since the theatre during its grand opening was hosted by local celebrities including Bob and Madison from WDCG G-105.1. FM and a host of other local personalities as well including local news anchors from WTVD-TV(Miriam Thomas and Mike Caplan) were on hand for its official opening week.
The opening attractions were for the August 9, 1991 premiere were “Home Alone”, “Dances With Wolves”, “Backdraft”, “Sleeping With The Enemy”, “Silence of the Lambs”, “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II”, and “What About Bob?”. All Seats and all Shows for the premiere week were just $1.05 and even the concession specials were also $1.05 just for the grand opening. However,the Carmike 7 was also a great place to see some great movies too and it was one of two movies that officially had the roadshow enagements too that opened to capacity crowds(“Menace II Society”, “Dead Presidents”, “The Original Star Wars Special Edition”), and so much more.
The theatre was in operation from 1991 until 2004. When it closed in 2004, plans were in the works to make the Carmike 7 into both a discount theatre and also the first movie theatre in the Triangle to show films in the Spanish Language format that would catered to the Triangle’s growing Latino population. It had a great concept, but prove unsuccessful, and the cinema closed right after that. To this day, the cinema still vacant on an empty lot off Avondale Drive.
The Strand Theatre was the first movie theater in Kingsport. Originally located on the corner of Main and Shelby Streets, the theater moved to 140 Broad Street (former home of Goodwin Furniture Company) in 1925. When the Strand first moved to Broad Street it was referred to as Nu Strand Theatre.
The Strand Theatre burned down on December 22, 1945, but was reopened in 1947.
The Strand Theater officially closed October 23, 1982.
In 1989, the Restoration Church moved into the historic theater building. A very informational article, including historical pictures of the theatre can be found by clicking HERE
The Bonnie Kate Theater located on Sycamore Street in Elizabethton, Tennessee first opened its doors on May 16, 1926. All 500 seats were filled for the inaugural silent movie showing at the theater.
In the 1970s a sheetrock wall was installed to split the single screen theater into two auditoriums and allow for the showing of two separate films.
On November 16, 2012 “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2” premiered. This was the final film shown at the Bonnie Kate.
In May of 2016 the City of Elizabethton bought the historic theater. The city has began renovation on the building and hopes to utilize the building as a performing arts venue.
Located off 79th Street in Newport-News, the New Market Theater (Cinema) first opened for business September 13, 1965 as the New Market Theater. I cant pinpoint an exact closing date for this theater any closer than the mid 1990s.
A time capsule buried on the property was opened in 2015 and contained a lot of 1960s memorabilia including an autographed picture of the Beatles.